Sunday, April 8, 2012

A Water Sprite



Hello my dear blogger friends!  A very happy Easter and Passover to you all, I hope that you're having a fun time off on this holiday.   I know that this drawing isn't very Easter or Passover-like at all...*laughs*...but I managed to squeeze this in-between a couple of projects I'm working on currently, just for fun and for no particular reason.  I found an old drawing I did about two years ago, which was a mermaid and I suddenly felt this urge to update the drawing.  But this time I wanted to do a mermaid that wasn't your typical "pretty" mermaid, I wanted one that was a little more shark like in her manner and in her fish style.  The little fish that are swimming around her, well, I don't know what to call them. They are this weird kind of cross in between a Carp and a Goldfish...or something like that. *laughs*

I had originally intended to do this only as a black and white ink drawing, somehow though, gold colouring work itself in there and I kind of like how the final result came out...personally I think it makes it "pop" rather nicely.  I used my watercolour pencils dry, which gives such a lovely airbrush look to the colours!  I also used black and white ink for finishing up...and I managed to avoid splattering white ink everywhere on the drawing, that's a hard urge to fight off!  Anyway, this took only about four days to complete, a record for me, as I love to take my time on drawings and relish every bit of time I have on it, so normally it takes me a week to complete a final drawing.  I've been trying to decide what kind of frame she would look good in.  Any suggestions?

 It's been a crazy few weeks for me...I'm very happy to get to blogging today.  I have a new job that I've been at for three weeks now.  It's doing flower arranging again, not something I wanted to do again, but after a year with no work, it's better than nothing.  I'm still looking for other work in the meantime, because I would really like to do something else...something more art inclined.  This pays the bills, rent and gets me my art supplies, so I am happy about that.

It was also my birthday on Friday the 6th, which was also passover...so that was a crazy day!  My mum bought me an awesome cheesecake and a lovely bottle of  Alfred Sung "Forever" perfume.  I did a little happy dance in the store over that.  Also at Starbucks, the barrista wrote "Happy B-Day" in caramel sauce on top of the foamed milk in my coffee!  He had very lovely handwriting. *laughs*  I never had a vente sized coffee before...I don't think again though(until next year that is), that was more coffee than I could drink.  It was such a good day...best birthday that I've had in ages.  Can't wait to see what happens for next year.

As a parting shot, the cherry blossoms are in full bloom everywhere I look now!  They are so gorgeous and always bring a smile to the heart.  I love looking at them, they are one of my favourite flowers.  I took this shot in a local park just a few blocks away from where I live.


I wish you all a very happy and creative week, everyone!  Hope you all are enjoying spring and I'm looking forward to reading about what you've been up to.  Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. I really really like this drawing, so beautiful <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely drawing, the gold and black is a great combo! hope youre enjoying your new job and the holidays treated you well ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Happy Belated Birthday to you, Erin!
    Sounds like you spent yours well :)
    Mine is coming up this Saturday...the same day as the big neighborhood Garage Sale....I figure I'll sell as much crap as I can, then take the cash and run....haha!

    I always love seeing your work...so intricate, so delicate....just gorgeous! I almost think this should be mounted on a matboard before framing so as not to cut off any of the edge details :)

    I think a Floral Designer job is better than sitting at a desk all day....so you have my vote for enjoying this while you can....haha!

    Much love and sunshine,
    Cam

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by to visit me and leave a comment! It means more to me than you could know. Even though I may run late, I always reply to thoughtful messages ASAP. Have a lovely week!