Saturday, January 7, 2012

Good Coffee, Fine Coffee


Hello dear friends!  I hope you all had a great New Year's start last weekend.  Mine was pretty quiet, watched movies until midnight, with some wonderful, yummy snacks.  It was really fun to open my window and see all the people dancing, kissing and setting fireworks off in the street after the countdown.  Me and my mum even waved to a few strangers walking down the street.  I always find it amazing what happens to peoples spirits this time of year.

So the above illustration was a bit of fun I had before I started on my new one shot comic.  I wanted to try painting with something really different, after some thinking of what I could use, I decided on coffee.  I'm a huge coffee addict!  I simply can't tell you on how much coffee I can drink in just one day alone, but I will tell you that it's a lot.  I also miss being able to go to Starbucks, which is one of the places I always enjoy to sit, people watch and sketch some art at.  I wanted to express the mood that the mere smell of fresh brewed coffee brings to mind.  I hope I've managed to do that fairly well.  I used fresh coffee, coffee grounds(which I found out rub off the paper easily when they dry), and just to enhance some of the brown effects and to add darker highlights I used some(a very little bit) of my watercolours, as well as some white ink because I just can't seem to not put shiny white dots in my work.  I also avoided using a thick, dark out line around the woman and fancy borders.  I felt that anything like that would ruin the feel and look of the final painting.  This has to be one of the best smelling paintings I've ever done. *giggles*

Great, now I've given myself a coffee craving.  Now, I'll have to go brew some. 

Wishing you all a happy, creative week!

8 comments:

  1. this is wonderful and i love that you used coffee on this. tea is nice paint too, as well as wine and some juices. do you sleep well with all your coffee drinking? I love coffee too! I love the details in this, I wonder if Starbucks would buy the image and use it on one of their products?!

    Happy New year to you, wishing you wonderful days and nights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make a cup for me please he he he he he! This is an awesome illustration. I really like what you have done here. Beautiful work. BTW, I wish that dress I did was real too he he he he!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is simply gorgeous Erin!! I love your concept too - I absolutely ADORE coffee... and the smell of it just drives me wild, haha! I love your creativity by using the coffee beans in your work, it's produced some very interesting textures here ^_^ Happy New Year to you and your mom! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous!://O i'm in lack of words to describe your works in any other way. you are one of the most brilliant shining stars out there with a pencil(or, uhm. coffe-cup?). the colors n USE of them are just beyond me. so damn pretty erin. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Erin. I grew up with Japanese animation and I think your art is just wonderful...it sure brings a lot of happy childhood memories for me. :)

    And thank you for leaving such a kind supportive comment on my last post, it's so sweet of you. oxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a love affair with the brew myself....so, I totally get you!! haha!

    This is wonderful, Erin...it really does convey that first deep breath over the mug in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can just smell and taste the coffee - IT WORKS!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by to visit me and leave a comment! It means more to me than you could know. Even though I may run late, I always reply to thoughtful messages ASAP. Have a lovely week!